Field Notes: Underland
The BDF team adore Field Notes and we're delighted to present the Underland series, a Field Notes Collab with Robert Macfarlane & Stanley Donwood
Robert Macfarlane, is a much awarded author, known for his books on landscape, science, place, and language. His latest, “Underland,” explores the subterranean world including a nuclear waste facility in Finland, ancient burial tombs under Somerset, England, the Paris catacombs, and a laboratory buried deep under the UK where scientists study sub-atomic particles and the origins of the universe. The Guardian called “Underland,” “one of the most ambitious works of narrative non-fiction of our age,” and it is now available in paperback.
Stanley Donwood is best known for creating the artwork and album covers for Radiohead since 1994. A prolific painter and designer, Donwood’s “Nether” is featured on the cover of “Underland,” and on our limited-edition 3-Pack. Macfarlane and Donwood also published “Ness,” a beautifully illustrated prose poem about a specific place and its (and our) history.
- Proudly printed by the good people of Lake County Press, Inc., Waukegan, Ill.
- Cover: Sappi McCoy 100#C “Fresh Snowy White,” with a thick, brute force, 4-color application of CMYK soy-based Toyo inks.
- Innards: Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 60#T “Bright White,” with a fine, 1-color application of “Sunshine Yellow” soy-based Toyo ink.
- Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color printing press.
- Bound with a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer & Rima RS 10S in-line stacker, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
- Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge DCM double round-corner machine.
- Ruled lines: 1/4" (6.4mm).
- Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (89mm × 140mm).